10 Time-Tested Ways to Make Money
30 March 2009
In Patterns That Work, I compiled a short list of patterns that describe how the vast majority of businesses make money:
- Product: make a physical product, then sell and deliver it for more than it cost.
- Service: provide a useful service, then charge a fee.
- Shared Resource: create a shared resource that can be used by many people (like a gym), then charge for access.
- Subscription: offer an ongoing subscription, then charge a recurring fee.
- Insurance: write an insurance policy against some specific bad thing happening, collect premium payments up-front, then pay out claims only when the bad thing happens.
After thinking about this subject a bit more, I thought of five more common patterns…
- Resale: acquire an asset, then sell the asset to another buyer at a higher price.
- Lease: acquire an asset, then allow another person to use that asset for a certain amount of time in exchange for a fee.
- Audience Aggregation: create and distribute information that appeals to a specific set of people, then sell access to that audience (advertising, direct mail, etc.) to an interested third-party.
- Commission: sell an asset you don’t own on behalf of a third-party, then collect a percentage of the sale price as a fee.
- Dividend: purchase an ownership stake in a business, then collect a corresponding portion of that business’ profit over time as a dividend.
You can describe 99% of all businesses – past and present – using one (or more) of these core patterns. If you want to create a successful new venture, start looking for ways to do one (or more) of these things.
Like this post? Join over 35,000 readers and subscribe to Josh Kaufman's email newsletter. You'll receive useful ideas, book excerpts, and resources that will help you make more money, get more done, and have more fun. It's free!
Recent Posts on PersonalMBA.com
- Hacking Higher Education - Turning Online Courses into College Credits
- LIVE from Seattle - Join Us Today For Free Business Training
- Reminder - CreativeLIVE Free Online Course April 4-5
- CreativeLIVE rescheduled to April 4-5
- CreativeLIVE - Rescheduling Due to Illness
- 3 Business Course Recommendations
- CreativeLIVE - Free Live Course Feb 14-15
- Best Essays I've Read in 2012
- Audible.com Best of 2012
- A Holistic Mission to Organically Downsize Buzzwords