We've Been Lifehacker-ed!
30 July 2008
I’m very happy to announce that the Personal MBA has been featured by Lifehacker, one of the most popular productivity blogs on the internet. It’s an honor to be featured – a huge thanks to Gina Trapani and the Lifehacker team for their support.
If you’re visiting from Lifehacker, here’s what you’ll want to check out first:
- The Personal MBA Manifesto – what we’re all about
- The Personal MBA Recommended Reading List – the 77 best business books available
- The Personal MBA Insider – stay up-to-date on changes and new content
As you probably noticed, personalmba.com was down from 7:00am EST yesterday to about 3:00am this morning. That’s because the post about the Personal MBA quickly became Lifehacker’s most popular post of the day with almost 20,000 views, sending an unexpectedly massive amount of traffic this way all at once.
Personalmba.com was definitely no slouch in the hosting department (top-tier shared VPS at the same company that hosts LinkedIn), but Lifehacker was simply too much of a great thing at once. Last night, I upgraded the site to a spiffy new “cloud” architecture that should scale in size with the amount of traffic personalmba.com receives, preventing this problem in the future.
Based on my testing, the migration appears to have worked, and the blog and forums are now fully operational again. If you experience any problems, please contact me at support at personalmba dot com and I’ll fix them ASAP.
There’s a lesson in everything, and this situation’s no different: one of the best ways to learn about something is to jump-in head first and try to figure things out as fast as you can. Website hosting and administration is one of those projects for me, and it’s amazing what I’ve picked up in such a short time – without the benefit of any formal education about what to do. If you want to get great educational results fast, put yourself in an uncomfortable situation: youâ€™ll be amazed at how quickly you learn as you work to get yourself out.
UPDATE (6:00pm EST): several people were still having issues this afternoon, which should be resolved now. The forums are also back online.
Like this post? Join over 35,000 readers and subscribe to Josh Kaufman's email newsletter. You'll receive useful ideas, book excerpts, and resources that will help you make more money, get more done, and have more fun. It's free!
Recent Posts on PersonalMBA.com
- Hacking Higher Education - Turning Online Courses into College Credits
- LIVE from Seattle - Join Us Today For Free Business Training
- Reminder - CreativeLIVE Free Online Course April 4-5
- CreativeLIVE rescheduled to April 4-5
- CreativeLIVE - Rescheduling Due to Illness
- 3 Business Course Recommendations
- CreativeLIVE - Free Live Course Feb 14-15
- Best Essays I've Read in 2012
- Audible.com Best of 2012
- A Holistic Mission to Organically Downsize Buzzwords