Deep Survival - Laurence Gonzales
By Josh Kaufman
On the face of it, this book has absolutely nothing to do with business: it’s a collection of stories about people who have found themselves fighting for their lives, and have survived. There is, however, a method to my madness.
If you want to really learn about a complex system like the human mind, study what happens when it’s pushed to the breaking point. Deep Survival flawlessly explains how the mind processes strong emotions and instincts, develops models of how the world works, and continuously adjusts those models in stressful and demanding circumstances.
Between stories of mountain climbers getting caught in an avalanche, hikers getting lost in the wilderness, and sailors being shipwrecked without equipment, you’ll learn about the importance of “Positive Mental Attitude”, the effect of stress and uncertainty on physical and mental performance, and the importance of being present in the moment and accepting the current reality, no matter how bad things seem.
Life in the business world can be tough: layoffs, recessions, and business failures are not uncommon, and this book will help you tremendously if you ever find yourself experiencing hard times. As in life, survival in business is a combination of attitude and skill, and Deep Survival can help you develop the mental and emotional fortitude necessary to make it through to better days.
Like this post? Join over 35,000 readers and subscribe to Josh Kaufman's email newsletter. You'll receive useful ideas, book excerpts, and resources that will help you make more money, get more done, and have more fun. It's free!
Recent Posts on PersonalMBA.com
- Hacking Higher Education - Turning Online Courses into College Credits
- LIVE from Seattle - Join Us Today For Free Business Training
- Reminder - CreativeLIVE Free Online Course April 4-5
- CreativeLIVE rescheduled to April 4-5
- CreativeLIVE - Rescheduling Due to Illness
- 3 Business Course Recommendations
- CreativeLIVE - Free Live Course Feb 14-15
- Best Essays I've Read in 2012
- Audible.com Best of 2012
- A Holistic Mission to Organically Downsize Buzzwords