Secrets of Consulting - Gerald M. Weinberg
By Josh Kaufman
If you are responsible for influencing others as part of your job, you can learn a great deal from professional consultants: it’s what they do for a living. Gerry Weinberg has been in the consulting business for more than three decades, and he knows a thing or two about working with people.
Originally published over 20 years ago, Secrets of Consulting is an entertaining, candid, and practical look at how to successfully solve problems and give and receive advice.
Part of the magic of this book is Weinberg’s masterful storytelling. Instead of blasting you non-stop with “do this” and “don’t do that” statements, Weinberg shares his insights using short stories and anecdotes that illustrate each principle in action. It’s easy to dismiss the importance of statements like “don’t spread yourself too thin” or “once you eliminate your #1 problem, #2 gets a promotion”, but when they’re brought to life as “The Law of Raspberry Jam” and “Rudy’s Rutabaga Rule”, you’ll never forget them.
This book isn’t just for career consultants: if you’re ever asked for advice, using the principles outlined in Secrets of Consulting can help ensure that your advice is taken favorably and is ultimately acted upon. You’ll also find this book useful if you’re in the market for a consultant – it’ll give you good advice on what to look for and what to avoid.
Like this post? Join over 35,000 readers and subscribe to Josh Kaufman's email newsletter. You'll receive useful ideas, book excerpts, and resources that will help you make more money, get more done, and have more fun. It's free!
Recent Posts on PersonalMBA.com
- Hacking Higher Education - Turning Online Courses into College Credits
- LIVE from Seattle - Join Us Today For Free Business Training
- Reminder - CreativeLIVE Free Online Course April 4-5
- CreativeLIVE rescheduled to April 4-5
- CreativeLIVE - Rescheduling Due to Illness
- 3 Business Course Recommendations
- CreativeLIVE - Free Live Course Feb 14-15
- Best Essays I've Read in 2012
- Audible.com Best of 2012
- A Holistic Mission to Organically Downsize Buzzwords