Rework - 37signals
By Josh Kaufman
Design is ultimately about making choices, and in order to make good choices, you must know exactly what you want. Your personal design philosophy will impact every aspect of your work, so it’s best to identify it as explicitly as possible.
37signals is a small firm in Chicago that specializes in creating web applications for small businesses like Backpack, Basecamp, and Highrise. In Rework, the programmers and designers behind 37signals share their philosophy: stay small, embrace constraints, and build less.
In Rework, you’ll learn why features are overrated; why taking outside funding should be your last resort; why staying small and flexible is preferable to growing a company quickly; why constant iteration is important; and why real prototypes are always better than design documents.
Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the specific philosophy 37signals details in Rework, you’ll find it very useful as you develop your own.
Like this post? Join over 35,000 readers and subscribe to Josh Kaufman's email newsletter. You'll receive useful ideas, book excerpts, and resources that will help you make more money, get more done, and have more fun. It's free!
Recent Posts on PersonalMBA.com
- Hacking Higher Education - Turning Online Courses into College Credits
- LIVE from Seattle - Join Us Today For Free Business Training
- Reminder - CreativeLIVE Free Online Course April 4-5
- CreativeLIVE rescheduled to April 4-5
- CreativeLIVE - Rescheduling Due to Illness
- 3 Business Course Recommendations
- CreativeLIVE - Free Live Course Feb 14-15
- Best Essays I've Read in 2012
- Audible.com Best of 2012
- A Holistic Mission to Organically Downsize Buzzwords