Bargaining for Advantage - G. Richard Shell
By Josh Kaufman
No matter what you do for a living, good negotiation skills help you reach your goals quickly. Bargaining For Advantage will help you identify your negotiating style, strengths and weaknesses, identify your bargaining goals, and teach you useful tactics for getting the most out of your negotiations.
Most negotiation books focus on the extremes of bargaining relationships: heavy-handed power plays or compromise-to-keep-everyone-happy. Shell strikes a balance between getting what you want and strengthening and preserving your relationship with your negotiating partner. Bargaining is a process, and only by identifying your goals, priorities, and points of leverage will you be able to identify a solution that’s acceptable to everyone involved.
Bargaining For Advantage also takes into account that more and more negotiations are being conducted remotely by phone, e-mail, or instant messaging. Negotiation in a networked world has many advantages and disadvantages that are different from face-to-face bargaining, and you’ll find the recommended tactics useful as you negotiate your way to financial success.
Like this post? Join over 35,000 readers and subscribe to Josh Kaufman's email newsletter. You'll receive useful ideas, book excerpts, and resources that will help you make more money, get more done, and have more fun. It's free!
Recent Posts on PersonalMBA.com
- Hacking Higher Education - Turning Online Courses into College Credits
- LIVE from Seattle - Join Us Today For Free Business Training
- Reminder - CreativeLIVE Free Online Course April 4-5
- CreativeLIVE rescheduled to April 4-5
- CreativeLIVE - Rescheduling Due to Illness
- 3 Business Course Recommendations
- CreativeLIVE - Free Live Course Feb 14-15
- Best Essays I've Read in 2012
- Audible.com Best of 2012
- A Holistic Mission to Organically Downsize Buzzwords