Blue Ocean Strategy - W. Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne
By Josh Kaufman
The thesis of Blue Ocean Strategy is simple: why compete with other firms if you don’t have to? In contrast to Michael Porter’s work, W. Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne advocate a different approach to strategy: focus on creating new industries that change the competitive landscape completely.
By focusing your resources on creating uncontested market space (a “Blue Ocean”), you’re working to simultaneously make your firm the industry leader and make your current competition irrelevant.
Blue Ocean Strategy will help you identify new areas of business that your company can pioneer. After all, there’s no sense in operating in highly competitive war-zones (“Red Oceans”) if you have a choice.
Like this post? Join over 35,000 readers and subscribe to Josh Kaufman's email newsletter. You'll receive useful ideas, book excerpts, and resources that will help you make more money, get more done, and have more fun. It's free!
Recent Posts on PersonalMBA.com
- Hacking Higher Education - Turning Online Courses into College Credits
- LIVE from Seattle - Join Us Today For Free Business Training
- Reminder - CreativeLIVE Free Online Course April 4-5
- CreativeLIVE rescheduled to April 4-5
- CreativeLIVE - Rescheduling Due to Illness
- 3 Business Course Recommendations
- CreativeLIVE - Free Live Course Feb 14-15
- Best Essays I've Read in 2012
- Audible.com Best of 2012
- A Holistic Mission to Organically Downsize Buzzwords