Influence The Psychology of Persuasion - Robert B. Cialdini
By Josh Kaufman
A self-described “sucker” for sales tactics, Robert Cialdini was every salesman’s dream prospect, and he wanted to know why. To find out, Dr. Cialdini, a social psychologist, worked undercover in fields like sales, PR, advertising, and fund-raising to discover what actually makes people comply with the demands of others. Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion is the summary of what he learned.
Influence identifies six ways that people are consistently, unsuspectingly, and (often) automatically persuaded: reciprocity, scarcity, liking, authority, social proof, and commitment/consistency. Knowing these natural psychological tendencies will help you in two ways: (1) you’ll become more persuasive, and (2) you’ll be able to identify when these tendencies are present, protecting you from being misled in the future.
As a side note, Influence_ is on the recommended reading list of Munger">Charlie Munger, Warren Buffett’s long-time business partner, who picked up some of his standard investing criteria from this book. Munger was so impressed by Cialdini’s thorough explanation of how rational decision-making can break down that he gave Cialdini one Class A share of Berkshire Hathaway stock (currently worth ~$118,000) for his “contributions to humanity.” How’s that for a strong recommendation?
Like this post? Join over 35,000 readers and subscribe to Josh Kaufman's email newsletter. You'll receive useful ideas, book excerpts, and resources that will help you make more money, get more done, and have more fun. It's free!
Recent Posts on PersonalMBA.com
- Hacking Higher Education - Turning Online Courses into College Credits
- LIVE from Seattle - Join Us Today For Free Business Training
- Reminder - CreativeLIVE Free Online Course April 4-5
- CreativeLIVE rescheduled to April 4-5
- CreativeLIVE - Rescheduling Due to Illness
- 3 Business Course Recommendations
- CreativeLIVE - Free Live Course Feb 14-15
- Best Essays I've Read in 2012
- Audible.com Best of 2012
- A Holistic Mission to Organically Downsize Buzzwords