First, Break All The Rules - Marcus Buckingham & Curt Coffman
By Josh Kaufman
Most “common knowledge” about how to manage employees is completely misguided. If you want to succeed as a manager, you’re going to have to break a few rules.
Based on in-depth interviews of 80,000 managers in 400 companies by the Gallup Organization, First, Break All The Rules shows that the world’s best managers break virtually every conventional “rule” of management practice.
In this book, Buckingham and Coffman show why exceptional managers select employees for talent, not experience, intelligence, or determination. Effective managers define the right outcomes for people, not the right steps; they focus on developing employee strengths, not eradicating weaknesses; they find the right fit for employees in the organization instead of relentlessly promoting people to their level of incompetence.
First, Break All The Rules will help you examine what you believe about effective management and encourage you to think of ways to set people up for success in your organization from the beginning.
Like this post? Join over 35,000 readers and subscribe to Josh Kaufman's email newsletter. You'll receive useful ideas, book excerpts, and resources that will help you make more money, get more done, and have more fun. It's free!
Recent Posts on PersonalMBA.com
- Hacking Higher Education - Turning Online Courses into College Credits
- LIVE from Seattle - Join Us Today For Free Business Training
- Reminder - CreativeLIVE Free Online Course April 4-5
- CreativeLIVE rescheduled to April 4-5
- CreativeLIVE - Rescheduling Due to Illness
- 3 Business Course Recommendations
- CreativeLIVE - Free Live Course Feb 14-15
- Best Essays I've Read in 2012
- Audible.com Best of 2012
- A Holistic Mission to Organically Downsize Buzzwords